Friday, December 08, 2006

Please enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...


This is the first entry that I have done completely on my new used computer. I needed another assist from Nathan in order to get the computer talking to the web - I found a wireless network at the office that I could tap into, but couldn't get it to connect. I called the helpdesk (Nathan) and received the following text message: "sudo dhclient eth0" which, when I ran it on the Unix Konsole, worked just fine. When I got home I tried the same thing and guess what? - IT WORKS! The connection is a bit sporadic, but it is good enough and it is free.

This is also my first browsing experience with Konqueror and my first experience using KOffice Works. Both are Kubuntu Linux applications and so far, totally rock my world - they are much more intuitive and much better thought out than their Microsoft (or even Apple) counterparts, though the desktop environment and interface are totally different. The next big challenge will be figuring out the photo editing suite. I should finish up the disposable digital camera that has been hanging around for the past three weeks tomorrow when I am with the kids, and should have the disk by Monday at the latest. Rather than use the raw photos, as I have done here so far, I plan to do a little image manipulation.

I will sign off now and keep this short, as tomorrow is Monkeyshines day. With any luck, you should not have to wait until Sunday to read all about it. Peace and Love, and a special thanks to Susie and Wayne for the hand-me-down.

No comments: