Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Busy As All Get-out

Today I am busy to the point of being overwhelmed. This is my second to last day here at HANAC, and as a teacher as well; and there is much to do in order to leave in the proper fashion. In addition, I spent a good chunk of yesterday in court and, while it went well, it resulted in a host of other matters to attend to - booking flights, arranging for all the paraphernalia needed to travel with two small children, etc.

Of course life doesn't just stop when things get hectic, and it is easy to feel that the gods should take notice and show mercy when it is obviously apparent that you already have too many balls in the air. But, no. The "To Do:" list gods are silent and cruel, heaping ever more onto already overburdened shoulders.

Perhaps this is why monotheism developed in the first place? Perhaps Oog, the caveman was having a tough week - trying to cross tasks off his list of things to do: 1) Drag wife around by hair, 2) Club wholly mammoth to death, 3) Avoid being eaten by saber-toothed tiger, 4) Invent wheel, 5) Tame fire - and so forth, and so on. But as Oog went through our hypothetical week, praying to the mammoth, tiger and fire gods for relief, he found that even more items got added to his list: 6) Make new stone tools, 7) Howl at moon, 8) Paint funny looking animals on cave wall, and so on. Being exceedingly frustrated, Oog then cursed the gods - all of them - and set about conjuring a new more benevolent God to replace them. One meta-god who would not give him any more to do than he could deal with... Well it looks good on paper anyway.

As I write this, my list is already a full page long (I write in exceedingly small capital letters) and still growing, but the worst part is that nagging feeling that somehow I've forgotten something very important - something that I would take care of immediately, if only it were on the list. Alas, but if it is truly important I suppose I will eventually remember.

I will have the kids over this evening until about 8pm, then I am planning to goto a meeting. Tomorrow will be my last day at the old job and Friday will be my first day at the new job. Lots of changes ahead and lots of things to do. What to do, what to do?

No comments: