Tuesday, July 24, 2007

New Art

On Sunday I went over to my friend Nathan's place (Stephanie and EJ live there too) to pick up a special treat: the painting that I've admired since the first time I visited their place, back when they were still living in Bay Ridge. Nathan was quite a prolific painter of paintings at one point and enjoyed working on massive pieces of plywood, among other things. Since they are in the process of leaving the United States (which strikes me as an altogether sensible thing to do) they are seeking to lighten the proverbial load. To this end, he has begun giving away the fruits of his genius to his friends.

This piece (pictured above) was painted directly onto a slab of inch thick plywood that is slightly over 4 feet by 5 feet and weighs the better part of 80lbs - judging from the hanging hardware that I mangled trying to get it to stay on the wall, and from the strain on the nice Islamic gypsy cab driver who helped me cart it up to my door. It is a whimsical scene of an art library featuring several distinct styles and wonderful color. It looks great in its new home - Thanks man!!!

No comments: