Monday, February 26, 2007

Monkeyshines, Some Snow and Back to Reality

Well, it feels like I never left New York – it’s amazing how our routines shape our thinking (and vice versa). And speaking of routines, our favorite little people came to stay with dear old dad this past weekend as usual. We had a very nice time - also as usual – other than that, there is not much to report but I'll try anyway (Note: the image update will be next Monday - stay tuned!).

Zach is doing a better and better job of communicating his feelings, wants and needs – and Daddy is doing a better job of figuring this communication out. There was a nice moment Saturday evening that bears some comment here. Miranda started a game with Zach, and they played it together for about 15 minutes. This was the first time that I have ever observed Zach playing with another child and it was as heartening as it was remarkable. This game was obviously one that they had played before, however, since I get so little time with them it was my first chance to see it.

The game consisted of Miranda announcing to Zach that “I’m going to get you.” She then turned and ran (making silly noises) to the other end of the apartment, jumping onto the doormat by the front door, as if it were “home base.” Zach started laughing and immediately ran after her, jumping onto the mat like she did. The game continued from there with Miranda running into the bedroom and jumping on Zachy’s bed, and Zachy following suit. The “bases” shifted to the couch, the big “thinking chair”, the kitchen window, etc., until they were both gasping for breath and laughing hysterically. Daddy just tried not to get run over, and egged them on – what fun!

The other interesting occurrence was that, upon waking at 3 or 4am, I went in to their bedroom to check on the sleeping monkeys and found Zachy’s bed empty. I had the briefest moment of fright, but then noticed that Miranda’s bed had become a double occupancy unit. Zachy had gotten up in the middle of the night and climbed into bed next to Miranda with his blanket – the two of them looked very cute all curled up next to each other. What was even better was that they slept through the night and Daddy actually got a decent night’s sleep.

I spent the rest of Sunday (after the visit ended at noon) cleaning up after “Hurricane Miller,” making my usual 2:30 meeting and doing laundry (sheets and towels mostly). I also spent some time trying to remember what I did for a living, and how exactly I went about doing it – it seems that I had forgotten. So I watched the snowfall and folded laundry, and started making those endless “to do” lists for the week, the month, the year, the… – but I suppose that’s another topic.

No comments: