Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Reflections on Monkeyshines

An amusing part of being a parent is finding yourself saying things that you never thought would come out of your mouth. As a child, I told myself that when it was my turn I would never say things like, "because I'm your father and I said so!" But here I am, years later, finding that I have become my parents (not a bad thing really). There is also the lighter side, however, that comes when you listen to the words you have spoken and hear them independent of the context in which they were spoken. It is hard not to laugh when you hear yourself say, "Miranda take the porcupine out of your mouth please," or "Zach, please stop painting your sister," or "Who put the mouse in the refrigerator?" These are precious moments indeed!

Enough metacognition - I had a great weekend with the kids and I remembered to pick up a camera and snap some photos. I used half of them this past weekend and will take the other half this coming weekend, then do the photo updates - make sure to check back!

We kind of did our usual thing - parks and such, and even made some new friends in Jack and Brianna, whom I suspect we will see again. The kids were even more affectionate than usual (that's pretty darn affectionate) and we did a lot of nice cuddling. On Sunday we did some heavy-duty finger-painting, which was great fun for us, and we got good and messy. Daddy also benefited by having some priceless works of art to hang in his hallway. There will be an encore performance of Monkeyshines in only 3 more days - I can't wait!





No comments: