Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Monkeyshines And Other Miscellany

First the bad news: I failed to plan ahead and pick up a disposable camera for this past weekend so there will be no yummy pictures of the kids to accompany this post. The good news is that no "must-capture" Kodak moments really happened anyway - well actually I'm not sure whether that is good news or not but, as they say, there it is.

The best news is that I had a very nice weekend with my two beautiful children. We just did the usual stuff - a couple of trips to the park and some walks. It was brutally hot and humid over the weekend, so we spent a bit more time indoors than usual, but that allowed for a lot of snuggles and quality time. Zach did a great job of using the potty and only had one accident over the whole weekend - Daddy was very proud of him. Miranda made some amazing artwork and has been more willing to explore mixed media. All in all - a really nice weekend! I'll make sure to grab a camera before the next time.

In other news... I attended the second sponsorship training session at Ameriprise on Monday evening. It's kind of surreal hearing the inside of how certain things get done in the business world. I also feel like kind of an impostor, since I have no real intention of taking that job. I'm just trying to capture at least one positive bit of... something... each session that I can take with me. So far so good. I'm starting to realize just how vast and diverse the world of finance really is - it amazes me that we humans have created such intricate machinations to replace the barter system and the tribal laws and norms that once served our ancestors so well. Is it really progress? I wonder.

Next Tuesday (the 4th) I start my classes for the Series 7 exam - this shit's for real, yo! I'll be taking them somewhere in the financial district(I find out on Friday) on Tuesday and Thursday nights through the month of September and will be taking the big exam on September 29th - wish me luck. After that I launch right into the Series 66 stuff, which I should complete sometime in mid October and then it is time to make the big move - at least my commute will be significantly shorter. This month will also bear witness to more court stuff between the kids' mother and I - which should be... fun? Or not. At least I'll be able to buy the T-shirt. Last but not least is Jon's wedding (and Allison's too) on the 22nd which I am very much looking forward to. It will be good to get out of New York and see some friendly faces.

So this week is the proverbial calm before the storm. Amongst all the hubbub, it's easy to forget that I work for a living, and of course I am plowing through all the paperwork and minutiae that has been piling up for the past month. I don't have to teach this week or next, so at least I have some time for reflection and inner maintenance - you know, practicing the ways of the Force and all that Jedi stuff. Oh yeah, and watching documentaries over the internet too:)

Peaceandlove, and may the Force be with you.

No comments: