Monday, June 04, 2007

Fishing, Meaning and Zen

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. (Henry David Thoreau) The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him? (Chuang Tzu) I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. (Charles C. Finn) Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying. (Baba Ram Dass) You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. (Navajo Proverb) You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. (Author Unknown) The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there. (Robert M. Pirsig) Knock on the sky and listen to the sound. (Zen Proverb) The obstacle is the path. (Zen Proverb)

1 comment:

n8k99 said...

the secret is there is no secret.