Friday, January 19, 2007

Off-Balance

As I was explaining to my good friend Obi this morning, I have been feeling completely off-balance this week. I have been tired, forgetting things, clumsy (to the point of mayhem), hiding from the world and just generally screwing things up. Fortunately, no one has gotten hurt - myself included.

It’s kind of hard to figure – the week started out with a Holiday, though the day off was consumed with a pediatrician visit (Miranda got a rubella shot and Zach got pronounced pink-eye free) and a visit to a lawyer. The latter was a consultation that Mia and I went to, to discuss what the steps were to sue the Board of Education for private school tuition for Zach, should they not be able to provide him with an appropriate educational setting (something that they are almost certainly not going to be able to do). It was kind of weird sitting there together as a team, having spent so much time meeting with lawyers in our difficulties with each other – at least it was weird for me.

So I guess the week was off to an unusual start. This was compounded by our adventure to the Ideal School of Manhattan on Wednesday, where Zach had his first interview for a kindergarten slot. Zach did fabulously – he counted to twenty, said his abc’s, did his shapes and colors and even did some drawing for them. He also did a great job of holding Mommy and Daddy’s hands and was ultra cute and very sweet with everybody. Unfortunately, I suspect that the school will not be a fit for him, as the class sizes are too big (15 kids per class) and they will probably not be able to provide enough speech therapy (only twice per week). Zach had a fine time however, and even sat in on a music class and looked at some pollywogs in an aquarium. We rode the train all the way back to Brooklyn and parted at Flagg Court.

Thursday (yesterday) I absentmindedly forgot to wear a nicotine patch - again. I realized this just as I was getting out of the train in Harlem and was about to start a twelve hour day – ugggh! I made it through without smoking, but I was pretty miserable and woozy all day. I had to keep asking everybody if I was being too cranky and apologizing for just plain old being useless. I put one on as soon as I got home and today I seem to be fully recovered and back on balance.

That should bring you all up to date with what’s been going on in Miller’s world – I’ve got a meeting tonight at 8pm and then 8 hours of Monkeyshines tomorrow Peace.

No comments: