Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Back to the Grindstone

I am back at work today after a very full Christmas/New Year holiday week. I took yesterday off from work, as I was pretty exhausted from traveling and not getting enough sleep while in Boston. I got to see the kids Monday night after they arrived home from points West of New York, and it was very nice to see them again. I went to a meeting afterwards then spent some considerable time talking to someone that I have been helping with the program, until about 10:30 pm. After getting home and making (and consuming) dinner, it was pretty late, hence the day of rest yesterday.

After sleeping in, I did laundry and made myself do all the little chores that I don’t like doing (sweeping, mopping and cleaning the stove and bathroom). I did some errands, took a walk and watched a bunch of Star Trek reruns – it was a good relaxing day. So here I am – at work for the first time this year and my thoughts understandably turn towards the future: what does 2007 hold in store for me?

I find that I am very optimistic, though I suspect that January will be somewhat bumpy, as I am trying to break two bad habits and start one good one. These are breaking my tobacco and Diet Coke habits, and getting some regular exercise back into my life. I find that these things have been weighing on my mind and I would like to remedy this, although I am already finding it extremely difficult just to get started. I need some of those Jedi mind tricks to boost my willpower. I’ll keep you all posted on how this goes.

January will also see more school and medical visits for Zach (will it never end?) and some experimentation on my part with a possible career change, although I will not elaborate on this until I see if it is realistic. In any event, 2007 will definitely see a change of some kind in my employment situation and I am excited and happy about this – it is time to leave HANAC. This has been a great place for me to learn and grow, but I must move on if I wish this learning and growing to continue (making some more money might not be too bad either).

The final big thing in store for me in 2007 is that I am also fairly certain that the divorce in which I am involved will be settled, one way or another, within the next twelve months. This will allow me to finally move on with my life (and hopefully spend a lot more time with the kids). I am anxious to close this dark and dysfunctional chapter of my life and start a new one based on what I have learned over the last 19 months, patience has never been one of my long-suits and the endless waiting has been difficult. It will also be nice to be able to be less guarded about what I say and write, but that will be just a minor bonus.

While the above hardly qualifies as a “State of the Mark” address, it will have to do for now. Life is good and promises to get better and better – happy New Year to all!

No comments: