Monday, October 16, 2006

Just do it.


OK, so enough of the lying around waiting for someday...you know... when the time is right? I created this blog to write, and write I shall. I guess it's the perfectionist in me that has kept me from doing this... will it sound good enough? Will it make sense? Will it change the entire fabric of human understanding? Will these thoughts shake the very pillars of heaven?
I was instructed to pick up my light saber so... fuck it! Here's the skinny:
So Mia and I are doing the divorce dance, custody and all, and it ain’t exactly a bucket of joy. The process is fascinating though. You really get to know a person in a profoundly different way when you’re sitting in a mediation session with them or talking to each other through your lawyers. The trick to not going insane seems to be letting go. Ah, isn't that always the trick? But here's the rub: knowing this and actually accomplishing this letting go are two separate things.
I'm getting pretty good at the knowing - not so good at the doing. I do get better, however, and just for today I have indeed let go. I'm told that pain is just part of being human, not optional, but that suffering is an entirely different matter. Suffering is something that I have been choosing to do a lot lately and... well... it sucks. So I have resolved to quit it and to keep quitting it, day by day.
Zach and Miranda came over to Daddy's house for the first time on Saturday and it was very nice for Daddy. I made a delicious (and nutritious) lunch of everything-free rice pasta, organic pasta sauce, sweet peas and fruit. The kids made a big mess which was my greatest pleasure to clean up (actually I saved a little mess just to make the place feel lived in) and stayed until 2:30 in the afternoon. We played, colored and even watched some Noggin. Next time I'll be ready with a camera to capture the white-hot action.
On the matter of current events, this afternoon and evening will see our hero in another mediation session with Mia (although with no real expectations this time) and then off to his therapist to continue the process of being adjudicated (pronounced by those with the correct letters after their names) to be normal. After, it is off to the Monday night meeting that I chair, then dinner and sleep - after a year and a half, as of yesterday, I no longer have to sleep on the floor. There is definitely something to stepping down as you get out of bed - makes the sleep seem even sweeter, kind of like chocolate sprinkles.

No comments: