Monday, April 30, 2007

Keeping Busy

Instead of enjoying monkeyshines this past weekend, as has become my weekend habit (good habits are just as hard to break as bad ones), the weekend was a rather long and solitary one even though I spent most of my time with other people. I got a lot done, however, and had plenty of time for reflection and other forms of inner maintenance, even though I missed the hurrly burrly antics of the kids.

Saturday I went over to my friend Lewis's place in Bensonhurst, to help him move his furniture back into his house (he had had his wood floors redone). He needed the help alright, but I think what he really needed was my mechanical and aesthetic skills, not my back. I know which end of a hammer to hold, how to swing it and I'm not afraid to bluntly cry "foul" when something is just not tasteful. These guys in Bensonhurst think that The Godfather is an educational film and their homes reflect it - jeeeez! But Lewis is a Wall Street big shot, not a wise guy - and the floors did turn out nicely. We had to hang things on walls, put things back together and put some things together that had never before been together. It even involved a trip to the local hardware store and you all know how much I truly enjoy prowling around a new hardware store - hardware in general rocks my world! Next time we'll get his pool ready for the summer season.

In payment for my time (not that any was necessary) I got to go through a big bag of clothing that Lewis was donating, and I found two great hand-me-down shirts. Felicia (his girlfriend) came by, and they even treated me to a late picnic lunch of fried eggplant, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil on focaccia bread. We ate in Cannonball Park, underneath the Verrazano Bridge. Afterwards, Lewis went to play golf, Felicia dropped me off and I went to a meeting: I picked up my friend Grandma Pat, who is stuck in a wheelchair and took her to a double meeting. Our friend Roy was celebrating 23 years and even asked me to present his coin to him and say a few words - outstanding!

Sunday I did laundry, groceries and cleaned my place (the apartment needed a shave) then went over to Nathan's house in Flatbush. We actually finished the work that we started together more than a year and a half ago, which felt really good. There are a few loose ends to tie up and I suspect that he has some kind of a ceremony in store for me, but I'll find out in two weeks when we get together again - I hope it involves pyrotechnics! I hung out with Nathan and Stephanie for a while afterwards (E.J. was napping the whole time I was there) talking politics, tech and whatnot. It seems that their move to Australia has been delayed indefinitely, although Steph was sworn in as a US citizen a couple of weeks back - there was much discussion as to whether or not this was a good thing.

It's not terribly exciting, but that should bring everyone up to date - Peace and Love!

No comments: